Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Things I’m Looking Forward to at the End of Our Around The World Journey

Baasje hiking in the rain in the early morning

Considering my lack of enthusiasm for the conclusion of our 9-month trip around the world, this post was surprisingly easy to write. After all, traveling isn’t exactly a bed of roses - on the contrary, it’s often a lumpy mattress in a 60-person dorm. Yes, as wonderful as it’s been to travel for an extended period of time, there were a number of creature comforts that we left behind when we hit the road. I thought this might be a good moment to reflect on all the things we have to look forward to now that we’re homeward bound.

Unpacking

I love my trusty backpack and the feeling of having everything I need on my back. I don’t love that the thing I most need is always located in the very bottom of my bag. Every morning, my clothes and my toothbrush are at the bottom of my backpack. Every evening, my sleeping bag and my toothbrush are at the bottom of my backpack. If it starts to rain, my jacket will be at the bottom of my backpack, though my swimsuit will be nice and handy at the top. Good one, universe.

Having more than 3 shirts to chose from

I pride myself on being somewhat of a minimalist and I was quite chuffed to realize I can easily get by with having very few items of clothing - 1 jacket, 1 sweater, 3 shirts, 1 skirt and 2 pairs of pants. Do I want to continue wearing my hiking clothes when I’m out for a night on the town? Not really.

Cleaning up

My apologies in advance to the heroic hair stylist that next cuts my hair, but since we left Canada I’ve been cutting my own hair with a pair of children’s craft scissors. I’m in dire need of a haircut…a real one, that is.

A door to close at the end of the day

From shower stalls without doors to making phone calls in the company of 60 fellow travellers, budget travel usually makes for very little privacy. Having an apartment or even a room with a door to close at the end of the day sounds heavenly! On a related note, no more earplugs. Yay!

Cooking in a real kitchen

Home, sweet home for the past eight months has been two backpacks. Keeping to scale, our ‘kitchen’ fits into a small bag. It includes, 1 backpacking stove, 1 pot, 1 bowl, 1 plate, 2 mugs and cutlery. For spices we've had salt and pepper. I’m very excited at the idea of being able to cook in a kitchen that isn’t balanced on a log at the edge of our campsite.

Decisions, decisions

Where are we going? How do we get there - by bus, train, plane, on foot…or camel? Where will we stay once we get there? Every day on the road seems chock-a-block with questions. Of course once we get off the road there will still be plenty of decisions to make but, if all goes well, these will be more routine decisions with familiar outcomes and less opportunity for unexpected surprises. Decisions like, which of the 200 emails in my inbox should I open first. On second thought, scratch this one from the list…

Admittedly, as much as I am looking forward to settling down for a while, I’d gladly lump any and all of these challenges for another 9 months of travel. I also know that, though I’m calling them challenges today, tomorrow they’ll feel more like benefits. All the things I’ll miss so much about about these vagabond days.

Sunrise over sand dunes in the desert

No comments: