Friday, May 23, 2008

May 23, 2008 - La Paz

Baasje and I are taking a break in La Paz before having to start the journey home. We spent the morning taking in the Folkloric and National Art museums and plan to spend the last of our Bolivianos in the mercado this afternoon. Everything seems so inexpensive, I think I may have a hard time restraining myself. How do you say no to a beautiful hand woven alpaca scarf for $5US, or a huge one-of-a-kind hand woven wall hanging made of naturally dyed wools for $28, or a cozy pair of hand knit alpaca leg warmers for $3, etc., etc.?

In some ways it feels like we´ve been here for months and in others ways the time has just flown by. Between the altitude sickness, polluted city streets, severe sun burns, freezing cold nights in the dessert, and accomodiations with limited facilities, I´ve viewed the most unbelievably beautiful landscapes, encountered experiences that will stay with me forever and met wonderful people who, beyond the hardships they endure in their day-to-day lives, manage to be the most gracious and welcoming hosts. Gracias, Bolvia!

No comments: