Monday, February 23, 2009

We live in a beautiful world...yeah we do, yeah we do



Friday is my favourite day of the week, and Friday afternoon at half past four is my favourite time of my favourite day of the week. It is the moment of the week where the longest amount of time exists before I have to return to work. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, but it can't compete with free time on any level. As I often find myself in a celebratory frame of mind on Friday, it's the day of the week where I most frequently indulge in little out of the ordinary extras. A favourite meal for dinner, a nice bottle of wine, going to a favourite bar, checking out a movie I've been waiting to see, etc.

This past Friday, the sun was still up when I arrived home from work and I asked Baasje if he would like to take a walk down to the little beach at the end of our street before dinner. I quickly changed out of my work clothes, put on my hiking boots, grabbed my iPod - but neglected to get my camera, a decision I would later regret - and ten minutes later, we were there. I hadn't brought my camera as I assumed, after three previous visits to our little beach, that I had plenty of pictures of the piles of driftwood, the rocky outer edges of the cove, the mountains across the water. Regretfully, I did not consider that the shoreline changes throughout the day. When we arrived, as the sun was beginning to set, the tide was out and a stretch of tidal pools and large sandy flats had been exposed. The water was smoother and the mountains across the water were tinted pink and orange. We walked to the far end of the cove, to a spot that is inaccessible at high tide, and stood on the rocks watching the sun set. I never in a million years would ever have guessed I would one day live by the ocean.

Up island adventure: Our first trip over the Malahat



Saturday morning we woke up, ate a quick breakfast and hit the road on our up island adventure. Since arriving in Victoria, I'd heard numerous people remark on the beautiful, sometimes dangerous, frequently tedious, drive over the Malahat - the mountain just west of Victoria and gateway to the north side of the Island. The Saturday traffic was a little congested in spots, but we managed to make it to the summit (elevation 352m) in under an hour. We spent a few minutes at the summit taking pictures and enjoying the view and then drove on to Chemainus to check out their "world famous" murals. The highlight of our road trip was definitely lunch at the Crow and Gate, a spectacularly situated pub owned and operated by British ex-pats. As most country pubs go, it was located in the middle of nowhere, though you wouldn't have guessed this from the crowd inside. Baasje had a scotch egg and I had the cheddar cheese ploughman's lunch. Both meals were delicious and we purchased some of their homemade rhubarb and red onion chutney to take home. We arrived at our destination, Qualicum Beach, a little after two o'clock in the afternoon and spent the afternoon catching up with Baasje's dad and two aunts.

Unfortunately, we've woken up to rain this morning (the day after our arrival), so I think we'll have to save the hikes we had planned until next time. Though it doesn't have to stop us from doing a little reconnaissance, as Baasje's Tante Marianne puts it. We'll be heading out soon and I guess we'll see where the day takes us.

No comments: