Wednesday, May 27, 2009

This social media marketing thing is starting to give me the willies

Lately I've attended a number of events focused on social media marketing. Is it just me, or is the whole idea of using social media as a marketing tool a bit of a creepy concept? Don't get me wrong, I understand that companies and organizations are monitoring the content I post online to try and figure out ways to tempt me into buying into their products and services, but I'd like to think the scope of the online discussion is beyond the strategies of professional marketing companies. Are they misguided in their belief that the mindset of the collective voice of Internet users could possibly be swayed by carefully crafted social media policies, or am I just deluding myself?

At a social media workshop I attended recently, participants were asked to raise their hands if they 'hated Facebook'. Half the people in the room, most of whom were past the youth demographic in age, raised their hands. In contrast, I did some usability testing with two groups of high school students this week and when I asked the question, 'Do you have any favourite sites?', all of the students, with the exception of one, mentioned Facebook. I can't locate any articles on the nature of this apparent divergence of opinions. I do know that the fastest growing demographic on Facebook lately appears to be the 35+ age group. Okay so the 35+ age group is using it and hating it? What gives? Could it possibly be that professionals just haven't figured out the big picture on social media yet? Enter the topic of 'policy development': we'll make the rules and teach people to follow them.

Social Media Club International, an organization comprised of members of the Social Media Community is currently promoting participation in an online discussion on the topic, "How do we educate the younger generation to prepare for the modern workforce?" Yikes! Here's my two bits, I'd keep this discussion behind closed doors and do my best to make sure no one finds out your contemplating such a creepy undertaking.

What I find most disturbing is that the topic of 'developing trust' is frequently finding it's way into the discussion of establishing corporate social media policies and practices. Yes, trust is what it's all about. From my experience, trust is why I prefer my interactions on Facebook to the more open discussion on Twitter. My friends on Facebook are people I know, people who respond to the content I post, in a meaningful way. And yes, I can tell the difference. I think...

Okay, so it's possible I'm the deluded one, but when it comes to social media and the vast expanse of the semantic web I prefer to think that theorists like Michael Wesch have a better grasp on what's happening out there: the world wide web is us, that everyone has the ability to organize content on the web, and that we also have the ability to look beyond the tool and think critically about how this tool affects our relationships and who we are.

Just my thoughts of course. Admittedly I don't have all the answers, at least not on my own...

1 comment:

Catherine Novak said...

Great topic, and you've highlighted it with one of my favourite videos. You're right that "using" social media is a bit creepy. It's like "using" your friends in a way. How can you build trust when people feel that at the end of the day, all you really want to do is sell to them? Ultimately there has to be another basis for connection - a genuine love of connecting with people online because you want to hear what they have to say. If that translates in being able to serve those same people in a business capacity later, then great. But the openness behind social media has to come first.

Cheers! Catherine Novak