Monday, May 24, 2010

Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip, Day 5 - San Francisco, CA

Okay, I'll admit it.  I have perhaps, and just as of late, mind you, grossly underestimated the appeal of urban America.  I'm sure you will forgive me as I believe I am fair in professing that I am not alone in this mis-judgement. But still and all, I concede that I've had my share of recent love-affairs with the metropolises of the good ol' US of A (God bless her!) - Boston, Austin, San Francisco.  Fully aware of the unfashionable nature of such entanglements I tried to resist!  I truly did!

In my Canadian-esque interpretation of what makes a city fabulous I tend to measure the appeal of a city against the standard set by the most fabulous city on the planet, Montreal.  Specifically, Montreal during the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal.  I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the awesomeness of Montreal's Jazz Fest, but I digress.

Lack of jazz festivity aside, it's stellar details all the way for San Francisco. Firstly, 'if you're going to San Francisco' (sorry, I couldn't resist), be sure to stay at the Hotel Carlton on Sutter Street.  I'd guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, but you are going to love it, as we sure did.  It's reasonably priced, the staff are lovely, the location is excellent and the complimentary wine and cheese served in the lobby before dinner hour comes complete with entertainment featuring the musical stylings of the concierge.  How perfect is that?  Yes, look out, Montreal.

As we unfortunately, only had a day and a half to spend in San Francisco (but we will definitely be back), we barely had time to scratch the surface of the myriad of attractions and distractions the city has to offer.  With some effort, we managed to cram in most of the not-to-be-missed touristy engagements - a stroll on Golden Gate Bridge, a ride on a street car, a visit to Lombard Street, Alcatraz, dinner at Fisherman's Wharf (which we were warned by a local to by-pass), a walk through China Town, window shopping in Union Square, taking in a view of the city from Twin Peaks, and browsing the shelves at City Lights Bookshop.  We also ate a two spots featured on 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives', Grubsteak and the Golden Coffee Shop.  Whew!

View my West Coast Road Trip Flickr set.

No comments: