Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All the way east: Wot we does in Trinity, Newfoundland, Part 2

Coffee at the Mercantile

If you’re craving a coffee and some conversation Ian’s is the place to go. I would hazard that, on any given day, it’s safe to say every person in Trinity - locals, townies and people who ‘come from away’ alike - will stop by Ian’s at some point during the day. If the beverages, baked goods, sandwiches or cool coffee-culture inspired souvenirs aren’t enough to tempt you, the town’s only public access to the internet may seal the deal (I’ve also been told the library provides internet access, but with four visits to Trinity under my belt I have yet to see the library open).

Rising Tide Theatre

I like to take in at least one production put on by Rising Tide Theatre every time we visit Newfoundland. The company focuses on plays that are distinctly east coast and often by and about characters and people who have lived or are living in the area. It’s a great way to immerse yourself in the local history, culture and dialect. Some of the productions are held outdoors, including the company’s staple the, ‘Town Pageant’ that explains the history of Trinity (my guess is it won’t be your cup of tea, but there are plenty other offerings, and I think at least one or two that might perk your interest). There is a dinner theatre production offered each Saturday evening during the theatre season - also probably not your cup of tea (I’m guessing there won’t be much in the way of vegetarian options for diners, it being all about the seafood here), but I thought I’d mention it anyway.


Photo trekking around town

Trinity is arguably the most photogenic of the collection of small villages dotting the shores of Newfoundland’s Bonavista Peninsula. Just about every typical east coast image you can imagine can be found here in beautifully restored technicolor glory - with of course, a few weather worn examples preserved for the sake of authenticity. Brightly coloured clap-board homes, root-cellar doors peering out from grassy fields, freshly painted wooden fishing boats lined up in the harbour, an old lighthouse and fort on the other side of the bay, lines of crisp, clean laundry flapping in the wind. Get the picture? ;) It’s a photographer’s paradise I tell you! Oh, excuse me - it’s a photographer’s paradise, dat’s wot I says!


Jigging for cod

This summer we got to go cod jigging with 82 year old Boyd in the boat he built. It was made of wood and Boyd used a traditional hand line (I cheated a little and used a rod). We caught 10 cod between us which will be dried and salted to be consumed in the winter. How cool is that?

View my Newfoundland, Canada photo set on Flickr

No comments: