Monday, September 19, 2011

What's in my backpack?: Packing for a long distance hiking trip on the west coast

Everyone packs for a backcountry camping trip differently.  Some are minimalists, some pack as much gear they can manage to carry just in case. I think I fall somewhere in the middle.

At the moment, I'm getting ready for a 4 day, 47km hiking trip on the Juan De Fuca.  The last time I did this hike was in April of 2009 and as wonderful as it was, it was also the wettest backcountry trek I've ever experienced.  This time around I'll be going with a few friends, two of whom will be doing an overnight backpacking trip for the first time, and I've been getting some info together to help them prepare.  Below is a list of items I'm planning to take along, which is a pretty much a run down of what I generally pack on backcountry camping trips (my pack usually weighs about 40lbs).

What's in my backpack on a 4-day, west coast hiking trip in autumn:

Waterproof backpack cover
Eureka 3-season tent
Pine Ridge 3-season sleeping bag
Thermarest air mattress
Petzl headlamp
Victorinox Swiss Army knife
First aid kit
Waterproof matches and a lighter
Rope
Bear spray*
Trail guidebook*
Notebook and pen
Point and shoot camera

Food and water
PUR water filter*
Collapsible bucket*
MSR backpacking stove
1L camping fuel
2 water bottles
Cascade Designs ultralight aluminum backpacking pot with lid 1.5 L + potholder
MSR stainless steel bowl
Set of Lexan utensils (knife, fork and spoon)
Can opener
Breakfasts and lunches - oatmeal, cheese, bagels, nuts, gorp, chocolate, jerky
Dinners - Pasta with pesto and pepperoni, instant mashed potatoes with flakes of ham, soup with dumplings, mac and cheese with tuna
Small mickey of scotch
Tea
Spare Ziploc bags
Cloth for cleaning up

Clothing
1 spare tights quick dry/moisture wicking
1 spare top, quick dry/moisture wicking
4 pairs socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Underwear
Gaitors
Water repellant soft shell jacket
Fleece jacket
Warm hat
2 pairs gloves
Comfy shoes to wear around the campsite (sandals)

Toiletries
Camp soap
Tooth brush and tooth paste
Brush and hair elastics
Toilet paper

*In my experience, I've found only one person in the group needs to pack these items.

Most of the questions my friends have asked have been about what food to pack, and rightly so!  I'll be posting info on what I'm bringing to eat and how I'll prepare it soon.  Of course the easiest solution where meals is concerned is to buy dehydrated meals from your local camping store.  I know there are many people who find dehydrated meals to be acceptable fare, but I'm not among them.

Other resources on how to pack for a backcountry camping trip:

No comments: