Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Playlist for Everday Listening

Halloween Party

Every holiday seems to have it's list of if-I-never-hear-this-song-again-it-will-be-too-soon musical "favourites" and Halloween is no exception. "The Monster Mash" makes me cringe, but not in a good way, and I really don't want to listen to "Thriller" again. That said, I thought I'd put together a playlist of songs I currently enjoy listening to that fit the Halloween theme. I also included a few creepy oldies that I expect won't be in any danger of being overplayed by your local classic rock radio station.

Vampire, Pink Mountaintops
Outside Love, 2009

On first listen, Pink Mountaintops' music comes across as light and fun, but don't be fooled. The more familiar you get with their brand of dreamy psychedelia, the more you might start to perceive a discreet twisted quality lurking beneath the surface. Sweet but sinister lyrics drive the point home, "So kiss me, please kiss me...I'm done turning blue."

Additional Halloween bonus: the person who made this video synched the music with clips from the awesome Swedish horror flick, "Let the Right One In".



Mother Mother, Ghosting
O My Heart, 2008

This might be the one song on this list that doesn't quite belong. Yes, it's about a ghost in love with a living person, but he's just too well-adjusted. He's finished with the poltergeist parlor tricks most other ghosts play in order to get noticed. He's getting rid of his sheet and demanding that his love interest recognize him for what he is! Lack of creepiness aside, "Ghosting" is my favourite song from "O My Heart" and always worth a listen.



Bloodflow, Smog
Dongs of Sevotion, 2000

When it comes to being wryly disturbing, Bill Callahan takes the cake. I've noticed many reviews describe his music as vulnerable and melancholy. Really? I mean, I get the warm and intimate quality of his unadorned vocal stylings but doesn't that closeness come across as seeming a little too hot under the collar and bordering on claustrophobic when he starts singing things like, "No time for a tete-a-tete/Can I borrow your machete?"



Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz, Mr. Bungle
Disco Valonte, 1995

There are some creepy doozies on this list, but this is the creepiest of them all. It starts out on a tame enough note with a retro, Ed Wood-inspired prelude that quickly spirals into madness. We're treated to a Tom and Jerry pandemonium-tinged hook, a manic wild west showdown theme, weird scatting in a made-up language that sounds kinda German and kinda demonic, and a freaky 'gotcha!' fade-out that makes you wonder if the nightmare will ever end. It's fun to listen to, but whatever state of mind Mike Patton was in when he wrote this song, I don't ever want to go there.



Bela Lugosi's Dead, Bauhaus
1979

This is the one song that often makes an appearance on cheesy Halloween playlists that I will make an exception for. After all, this list could use a good dance song. It may not have a catchy beat but I really did enjoy dancing to it back in the day. Going by the release date that was 30 years ago. Now that's scary!



What Halloween themed faves are you listening to these days?

No comments: