Friday, April 08, 2011

Food friends cook for friends when they’re feeling under the weather

Since moving from the east to the west coast a few years back, I’ve observed a few notable cultural differences. Attitudes toward eating, for one. As you might expect on the ‘left’ coast, food choices are generally lighter and healthier than those you’d find out east, though I’ve recently learned there are exceptions to this rule. When I fell ill a short while back, my amazing friends dropped by with dishes that it appears are tried and true standbys no matter what part of the country you live in. Soups and casseroles that make for great stick-to-your-ribs dinners and also reheat well for lunch the next day. As a little thank you, I promised to post links to a few of the recipes for others to try out and share. Call me sentimental (or perhaps, a sentimental little piglet) but in my books, nothing makes a person feel as loved as a gift of food.


Maclaren's Imperial Cheese and Macaroni (thanks, Carole)
This is like mac and cheese turned up to 11 especially if you’re a fan of Maclaren’s Imperial Cheese, the crumbly cheese spread in the red container with the black lid. If that’s not enough to perk your interest, perhaps the addition of mushrooms and bacon will up the drool factor. Where has this recipe been all my life (minus the years I was vegetarian, of course)? Maclaren's Imperial Cheese and Macaroni recipe.

Mom’s Shepherd’s Pie (thanks, Steve)
This dish made frequent appearances on the supper table of my childhood, so I was extra pleased to savour it’s yummy goodness while I was convalescing. A pretty standard recipe with all the usual suspects – potatoes, ground meat and a few additional ingredients for flavour. To me, shepherd’s pie is all about the condiments, so you really want to keep it simple. In addition to gravy, I like to apply a sprinkling of mint sauce AND Heinz 57. Mmmmm! Mom's Shepherd's Pie recipe.

Cocoa Chili (thanks, Cara)
I had no idea you could put cocoa in chili, but apparently a lot of people do and you know what? It makes for pretty fantastic tasting chili. Cocoa Chili recipe.

Chicken Noodle Soup (thanks, Baasje)
Of course. Chicken soup recipe.

Hot Cocoa
One of my favourite rainy day treats. You might be as surprised as I was to hear that hot cocoa is exceptionally good for you. Add a little chili and cinnamon to make it exceptionally delicious. Hot Cocoa recipe.

Great treats and boredom tools (thanks Andrea, Bob and Terra!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The first meal I ever made for Melissa was shepards pie made from roast beef and potato dinner leftovers she had brought home from her grandmothers house. I think I won her heart right there and then. It was awesome but if you've ever tried to cut up roast beef into something resembling ground beef with a college kids knife set you understand how much love was in that dish.

~Greg

P.S. Be glad my father never heard you describe a beef pie as shepards pie... That's cottage pie. Shepards pie was only made with lamb in our house.

Joyce Peralta said...

An excellent choice for a first meal to cook your new girlfriend...perhaps I should add that into the title somewhere ;) That Melissa is a lucky girl!

day_dreamer said...

The mac and cheese recipe here is a little lighter than the one I brought over. I use the whole package of Imperial cheese and it forgets to mention butter twice, because you need to mix some (melted)with the panko crumbs as well. More butter and cheese makes anything taste better, doesn't it?? Your arteries will forgive you with a little exercise.

...Carole

Joyce Peralta said...

Thanks for sharing the additional tips, Carole. I couldn't agree with you more, how can you go wrong with more cheese and butter? ;)