Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back Alley Jams finale show: Why I heart local campus radio

Versa performing on Back Alley Jams, Jan 23, 2011
This week marks the last official episode of Back Alley Jams which has been broadcasting from The University of Victoria’s campus radio station, CFUV 101.9 FM for little over a year. The show, created and hosted by Ali Lopez in support of the local music scene, features live performances from local bands and musicians every week and was affiliated with the University of Victoria New Music Club.
Since BAJ’s pilot broadcast in May of 2010, I’ve had the pleasure of participating as one of the show’s volunteer techs on a number of live concert broadcasts. To commemorate the show’s finale, below is a list of my favourite BAJ performances (this is in no way meant to be a list of best performances by the way, just a few that for one reason or another I found to be personally memorable).
For a full listing of Back Alley Jams episodes visit the BAJ website.

Tune into Back Alley Jams' finale episode on CFUV's website at 5pm PT, Sunday, June 12, 2011.

Being a somewhat recent transplant to this area of the country, BAJ has offered me a unique way of getting acquainted with Vancouver Island’s fabulous local music scene. It’s also been a rewarding counterpart to the other hat I wear at UVic as a member of the university’s web team, allowing me to work closely with some of UVic’s amazing students. For these reasons and many more, I’m sad to see this amazing show come to and end. So long, BAJ. I miss you already!

Support your local campus radio station!!

No comments: