Thursday, June 02, 2011

Sasquatch 2011: Memorable moments

I trust you won’t be too surprised to hear that our recent Sasquatch weekend didn’t quite go as planned. By no fault of our own, of course. This year, we even went as far to draw up a concert wish list.


Of course we missed out on a few concerts, happened upon a few shows unexpectedly, and generally wandered off course repeatedly. And thank goodness we did! Otherwise we would have seriously missed out on those special, unexpected moments and revelations…

We're definitely doing this again next year moment

We reached the gates half way through Friday night’s lineup and finished setting up camp as that night's closing act, the Foo Fighters, were wrapping up their set on the main stage.  As a consolation prize we discovered there’s more to arriving late to this party than just being fashionable. In the interest of not letting the cat completely out of the bag on this well kept secret I’m going to (overflow camping!) stop here.

WTF moment

   
We left the City and Colour concert early hoping to catch an artist signing at the Easy Street Records booth and wandered into this…
In case you can’t figure out what’s happening in this picture, this is a sky full of toilet paper and Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears performing a rocking cover of Surfin’ Bird.

What music festivals are all about moment

I believe everyone who had the privilege of witnessing the Other Lives concert on the Yeti stage on Sunday afternoon will understand what I’m talking about when I say this concert was the epitome of what music concerts are all about.  Hands down my favourite musical performance of the entire festival.  The five piece band, each member playing multiple instruments, sometimes simultaneously, put on one of the tightest, richest sounding shows I’ve heard in a while.  I’d originally planned to leave a little early to try and claim a good spot at a following concert on another stage.  Once they started up though, I just couldn't tear myself away.
   
What was I thinking?! moment
   
Having caught Local Natives in a small club at SXSW earlier this year I had assumed I didn’t need to see them play again at Sasquatch.  As luck would have it, I ended up at their show anyway. Boy, was I wrong!
   
Double rainbow moment
   

A colleague of mine asked about The Flaming Lips show on Sunday night. My description went something like this: At the start of the show, the band members emerged one by one from the centre of a giant eye projected into the middle of the stage. Then Wayen Coyne appeared in a giant plastic ball and walked on the crowd.  The sky was filled with streamers, coloured confetti and giant balloons.  Then the Teletubbies appeared. Oh yes, it was AMAZING!
Giant eye
Wayne Coyne walks on the crowd in a giant plastic ball
Streamers, coloured confetti and giant balloons
Teletubbies
 See more pics in my Sasquatch Festival 2011 Flickr set.

No comments: