Friday, November 29, 2013

Giving Thanks in Hong Kong

Hong Kong skyscrapers viewed from The Peak
Hong Kong's skyscrapers viewed from The Peak

Since I last wrote, we've switched gears and gone from Morocco's historic medinas to futuristic Hong Kong. As luck would have it, we've arrived just in time to celebrate Thanksgiving with relatives from the States who've been living here for the past few years. It's quite the score for us as we're definitely up for pigging out on a big meal at this point - we both managed to lose some weight on the Camino so I believe a little indulgence is in order!

We've been asked to share what we are thankful for at Thanksgiving dinner and while I was mulling it over I thought, why not do up a post for the blog? 

Things I'm thankful for...

I have a lot to be thankful for this year. If I tried to put together a full list, I expect it'd stretch a good two-thirds of the way around the globe. It would include all the incredible, new experiences we've enjoyed on our around-the-world journey so far, and all the wonderful friends and family who've been so generous in providing us with places to stay along the way. It would also include all the amazing new friends we've met during our travels. Who knew so many strangers we crossed paths would be so warm and welcoming? Isn't the world supposed to be a cold, unfriendly place?

I'm also very grateful to have the opportunity to step outside my regular day-to-day life, with all it's day-to-day stresses, to experience life from a different perspective. What makes it even more special is to have the chance to do it with Baasje - it's been great to have this opportunity to simply enjoy each other's company!


I'm grateful we're taking this amazing journey together, even when we're standing in the medina arguing over which direction we should take and whose fault it is that we've gotten lost (again!). Loving every moment of being lost (and found) with you…

Scenes from our Thanksgiving dinner in Hong Kong

No comments: