Sunday, November 23, 2008

First Encounters

Having spent a full week in Victoria I felt it was high time I take in the double-decker bus tour that departs twice daily from the Empress Hotel located on the banks of the city's picturesque inner harbour. I expected it would be a good opportunity to get acquainted with my new home city in a compact amount of time. I also realized that, as a resident of Victoria, the window of opportunity in which it would be excusable for me to partake in such an activity might soon close.

Though I'm not completely convinced it was worth the price tag, the one and a half hour tour did provide in-depth knowlege of the architectural merit of some of Victoria's landmark buildings, historic knowledge of the city's more notable neighbourhoods and stunning views of the area's numerous bays. That said, for others in a similar situation I would suggest forgoing the tour in favour of a walk around the downtown area (including Beacon Hill park) and a visit to Craigdarroch Castle.

Over priced bus tour aside, the experience of moving to Victoria has, so far, been a pretty postive one. As cities go, it would be hard not to like it - it's a pretty town, with better infrastructure than similarly sized cities, friendly, laid back inhabitants, and an agreeable climate. I know there are those that complain about the rain, and perhaps I might come to join in the lament eventually, but having come from the snowbelt region of Ontario, I say the weather in Victoria is a bit better than fair to middling. I'd take the drizzle over ice pelets and half frozen muddy puddles any day.

No comments: