Monday, October 28, 2013

Camino Day 19: Calzada de los Hermanillos to Mansilla de las Mullas, 25km

Halfway markers on the Camino

Yesterday we passed by the halfway marker for the Camino Frances, just outside Sahagún, Spain. 400km down, about 400km left to go. I also sustained my first injury (a strained calf muscle) at roughly the same time so, after hiking 19 days with relatively few impediments to break my stride, I found myself shuffling across the halfway point whimpering like a baby. Meh.

As far as the injury was concerned, after a stop in Sahagún to grab some lunch and do a quick assessment, I perhaps foolhardily came to the conclusion that things weren't serious enough to warrant getting off the road straight away. That said, I limped my way through the rest of the day with the assurance the following two days we'd be taking on much shorter distances (25km today and 19km into Leon tomorrow). I suppose it's possible I'm risking serious injury by staying on the road, but at this point, just about everyone we're hiking with is nursing some type of injury so my experience is simply somewhat par for the course. Besides, we're still on schedule to arrive in Leon in time to enjoy Saturday night in the big city - a little fun and merrymaking might be just what the doctor ordered.

But enough of the injury and back to more important developments at hand - a little under 3 weeks in and we are halfway to Santiago! As one might expect, reaching this point has brought the end of our journey on the Camino into sharper focus. We've still got quite a ways to go, but the distance feels a bit less vast now. The end is in sight - it might be a teeny tiny speck on the horizon, but it is there.

No comments: